Silk pillowcases are one of the most luxurious items you can add to your bedtime collection. It is a great investment for your overall wellness because silk pillowcases are known to benefit your hair and skin health.
However, there are several silk pillowcases that are available on the market. Depending on what your budget is and why you'd like to try out a silk pillowcase, the available options can be daunting.
Let's have a closer look at what to consider when selecting your silk pillowcase. We'll also feature seven of the best types of silk pillowcases from which to choose, to give you a head start on finding the right silk pillowcase for you!
Types of Silk Pillowcases
According to The New York Times, silk pillowcases are being favored for helping prevent wrinkles and acne because it helps reduce the strain on the skin. It also helps reduce the frizz and tangles in hair, making it a favorite for many beauty enthusiasts.
So, without further ado -let's look at what makes the best silk pillowcase and see those top seven picks!
What is the best type of silk fabric?
The most popular silk used in creating these pillowcases is mulberry silk. This silk thread is smooth, uniform, and very strong.
When used in a silk charmeuse weave, it becomes smooth and luxurious to feel; and it is friction-free, making it the best choice for your skin and hair.
What is momme silk count?
Momme (mm) is the unit that measures the quality of silk fabric. To make it simpler, most quality silk fabrics with a soft and silky weave range from about 19 to 25 mm.
Some silk pillowcases have a higher momme count, making them a lot more durable and soft, but it also means they can be a little bit more expensive. Here are some of the best types of silk pillowcases you can check out.
Best Overall Silk Pillowcase: Fisher's Finery Mulberry Silk Pillowcase
- This pillowcase is a Good Housekeeping seal holder (you can get a refund if it is defective within two years!)
- It has a good lab performance result and has excellent moisture-wicking capabilities. It is also very cool and comfortable to the touch.
- May shrink slightly in the wash if not done correctly.
Best Value: Alaska Bear Silk Pillowcase
- A great option for an entry-level silk pillowcase because it is made of good-quality mulberry silk without breaking the bank.
- Has a hidden zipper to prevent your pillows from slipping out of the case while sleeping.
- Lower momme weigh means that it will get rougher and it will lose its silkiness over time.
Best One-sided Silk Pillowcase: Myk One-sided Silk Pillowcase
- This pillowcase is affordable, especially for those who want to try out using silk pillowcases for the first time.
- Material is soft and silky, and it also comes in versions with higher momme weight.
- Low momme weight makes the pillowcase feel a lot thinner.
- It has the tendency to be overused quickly as only one side of the pillowcase is made of silk. It is best to have another set of pillowcases to prevent this from happening.
Best Splurge: Slip Silk Pillowcase
- Uses high-grade 6A long fiber mulberry silk with a 22 momme weight. The material used for this silk pillowcase is specially created for this product.
- The Slip Silk Pillowcase is incredibly soft and thick, perfect for preventing sleep creases and bedheads.
- It is quite expensive for a silk pillowcase. Definitely, an investment to consider.
- It requires delicate washing and storage to keep its high quality.
Best Synthetic Silk Pillowcase: Morning Glamour Pillowcase
- Incredibly affordable, yet strong and durable from multiple lab and consumer tests.
- It has good moisture-wicking capabilities and is very comfortable to use.
- Fabric is not made of real silk but of synthetic satin. It does replicate the feel of silk for those who just want to try out how it feels.
Best for Travel: uxcell Charmeuse Silk Pillowcase
- Affordable, but uses high-quality 19 momme weight silk for their pillowcases. It is also breathable, moisture-wicking, and incredibly smooth to the touch.
- Comes in a small, travel pillow size, perfect to bring for travel purposes.
- Needs to be washed delicately and can roughen over time because of the low momme weight.
Best Printed Pillowcase: SLPBABY Silk Pillowcase
- It comes in a lot of prints and colors, perfect for those who prefer to have a pop of design for their pillowcases.
- Very affordable and inexpensive for a silk pillowcase.
- It has the lowest 16 momme weight thread, so the fabric and weave aren't as durable as other silk pillowcases.
Silk pillowcases are investments that you might want to consider for overall health, great hair, and smooth skin. These luxurious pillowcases may be a little bit on the expensive side, but the benefits they have simply outweigh the cost.
If you plan to get yourselves a couple of silk pillowcases, make sure to look for high-quality, durable silk pillowcases in order for them to last for a very long time. In order to keep your silk pillowcases feeling smoother and silkier longer, it is best to wash them delicately and to pick silk fabrics with a high momme count. This will give you the best choice of silk pillowcases for your needs.
Aside from pillows, you might be looking for other design ideas like couch colors for specific rooms in your homes! If you are, then we've got a few articles for you.